Thunderstorm Season

Where we live we tend to miss all the extremes of weather. However, today we are in the centre of it all. I love thunderstorms and this one is a good one. We had about an hour of strobe lightning making us feel we were in a film like Close Encounters or War of the Worlds. This short video was just before the rain started, which became torrential.

Then the rain hit for about half an hour flooding everywhere.

Since then we have returned to strobe lightning and are about an hour in. According to the Met office, we will be having these storms until late Friday. I’m not complaining as I love this weather.

10 comments for “Thunderstorm Season

1. August 11, 2020 at 12:43 am

We definitely get the “strobe lightning” around here as well. Sometimes it doesn’t get accompanied by thunder, and as a result we usually call it “heat lightning”, since it usually occurs during very warm nights.

We actually had a pretty nasty thunderstorm pass through yesterday. It dropped hailstones (maybe nickel to dime sized) and the wind knocked out our power for about an hour. Lots of lightning and thunder nearby as well. Thankfully the power company was able to get it back online relatively quickly.

• August 11, 2020 at 8:03 am

We have never had power outages due to storms. I love storms and have done since I was a kid, watching them come in over the hills whilst sitting in the side roof.

2. Sonja
    August 12, 2020 at 4:52 pm

We had some rain the day before yesterday. It did not bring any relief, in fact, it made it all even worse.

I would appreciate a thunderstorm to watch the wild nature and to get some refreshment. It’s much too hot for me!

• August 12, 2020 at 8:18 pm

It is insanely hot here at the moment, 25c and its 8:17pm, the sky is yellow so the storms are on the way again. Alas the thunderstorms never cleared the air and the heat still persists.

3. August 12, 2020 at 6:33 pm

I am a huge weather buff too. I love a good thunderstorm and nothing makes this school secretary happier than a snow day!

• August 12, 2020 at 8:23 pm

I LOVE snow. I cannot wait for winter so we can go up the mountains where the snow is so deep and lots of fun. I grew up in the middle of the countryside and we got proper snow each year for several months, it was bliss, dare I say it was our salad days.

• August 12, 2020 at 8:52 pm

Yes. It is such a great season for knitters.

• August 12, 2020 at 8:56 pm

Also my dogs love the snow and its cooler for them lol

• August 12, 2020 at 8:58 pm

Oh, Razz sits out in the snow by the hour. He melts the snow around him, gets up, moves to a new spot and plops down to melt the new snow. Over and over…

• August 13, 2020 at 3:24 pm

Thats brilliant, Mazikeen runs about in it having wild fun where Harper plays then is too cold.