Well, what can I tell you about my latest knitting item, you know, the hat for breast cancer, I ripped it off the needles. Why? you may ask, well I was doing it on DPN’s then moved to circular needles, but when I got so far I could see that it really would not be big enough for an adult, and I was doing the medium size, so it had to go. I take a large size in hats and it would not go anywhere near me, M is Medium and he struggled, and it was quite a loose knit, so really it should have been okay, but nope. I also noticed that I had cocked up a few of the twist stitches.
Since we have the so-called Beast from the East 2 hitting us again this weekend I will start it all again, and cross my fingers that it works this time. I was enjoying doing it as the rib is a twisted stitch and the main pattern was lots of YO, SSK, K2Tog and P2SSO, so it was quite rhythmical, even hypnotic.
I have a few weeks to do both and get one off to the charity, so fingers crossed we are snowed in and progress will be made.
We are mid way through May 2017 and I have just finished making my 4th pair of socks.
I decided to use a variety of yarns from DK to 3 ply. I had used double knit for the first pair of socks, and since my Mum had given me a huge stash of yarn she would not be using I decided to use Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo, and the pattern I used was “Gentleman’s Matrimony Celebratory Socks” by Sockbug. Although I liked the pattern, and the yarn was really nice to work with but, once worn they seem to become baggy and so far, not tighten up.
My next pair was with Patons UK Fab DK Solids, self pattening yarn, using a pattern called “Nascar Socks” by Laurie Sundstrom, however, I did alter the pattern, and rather than have a continuous plain knit, I did several squares in purl, just to add contrast.
Next step was to go to proper sock yarn, so, after a trip to Amsterdam, and a visit to Stephen & Penelope’s shop I bought among other yarns a lovely Malabrigo Yarn called Arroyo, and used a pattern called “Bespoke Vanilla Socks (Sport)” by Melissa Lund. I also used for the cuffs, heal and toes Rowan Donegal Lambswool which I found in Oxfam for 50p a skein. Both beautiful yarns to work with.
My final pair so far this year, I used the same pattern as above, but this time used Cascade Heritage 150 Yarns and the cuff, heal and toes in MillaMia Naturally Soft Merino.
We all wear them, and I had seen people on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram showing off their hand-knitted ones. Loving a challenge I decided to pick up my needles and give it a go.
My first pair I made for my hubby, however, he put them in a hot wash and they are good for either a child or someone with really small feet.
The pattern I decided to use was Colonel Mustard Socks by Erin L Black, this was the result using Wendy Mode Double Knit Yarn.